Military Intelligence Goes Mainstream
The idea that the military has adopted Web 2.0 tools in their intelligence community doesn’t surprise me at all. In fact, I think it is a novel idea, as long as security can be maintained. Sensitivity, security, and speed must be in balance when it comes to this exclusive organization.
Obviously, the recent upswing in social networking through open online platforms cannot be ignored, as it is already taking over in the business world. Companies like Crocs and Bumgenius are using online sites, like Twitter to reach customers, market new products, and get immediate and uncensored feedback.
In case you haven’t heard, news on sites like Twitter and Facebook spreads like wildfire. As an avid tweeter, I can honestly say that there have even been quite a few times when I have learned of some breaking news stories on Twitter instead of my usual trusted news sources, like CNN or Fox News.
Now, with this speed of communication, also come consequences. Once something is said, it can rarely be taken back before someone else has already seen it and passed along the information. One typo, or under-thought-out comment, and it will become quite difficult to reverse the domino effect. There have also been times when false rumors have been spread as well, so the Web 2.0 world is not free of flaws.
Honestly, I think the advantages of Web 2.0 outweigh the disadvantages, and the military should embrace technology, but with an enforced code of ethics and proper protocol. Instantaneous collaboration is definitely essential to our military being able to keep up with the pace of a Web 2.0 world.
About Me
- Steve Parker
- I am a tree hugging, cloth diapering, nursing, Prius driving, tortured graduate student and mom of two beautiful monsters. I have been married to Steve for over seven years, but he has a major flaw in that he seems to only be capable of producing children with the Y chromosome. My beautiful little monsters are Ryan and Reid, and they do a wonderful job of keeping me alive and slowly killing me at the same time. What can I say? I love my guys!
3 comments:
I think we both agree that security is the major concern the military faces when employing web 2.0 technology. There will always be security concerns when communicating sensitive information over a platform such as the web. The demand for security, however, will create (or sustain) the need for information security officers whose primary objectives will be to stay one step ahead of the hackers. The benefits to utilizing technologies such as web 2.0 far outweigh the risks, in my opinion.
Coleman skinner
Cindy, great post. I agree with your sentiments exactly. Embrace, but be secure. I especially like the truth behind posts going public and not being able to recall ambiguous, rash or underthought communications (which a lot of times shows someones true colors). I am following your blog now, so be careful with what you say! J/K.
CW
I completely agree with your position. It might seem contradictory to mine, but as long as security of the information can be guaranteed, I think that the idea of Web 2.0 for intelligence use is a great idea. I think it allows those in that community to quickly receive information that may (or may not) be related to what they are looking for.
After posting mine, I happened to think also about the amount of data 'overload' that could potentially be achieved. Having that much data at ones fingertip is both a blessing and curse. A person can quickly become overwhelmed with the amount of information as well as loose the original meaning/reason/focus of the research.
on a personal note- I love your blog site. It helps to put a 'face' with name from 'class'.
Post a Comment